Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Monday, April 30, 2007

I just flew in from Alaska

...and boy, are my arms----sorry, I'll stop. In all seriousness, the trip was wonderful, as were my generous, attentive hosts. I ate fantastic batter-fried halibut and drank the best India pale ale I've ever had at a local microbrewery (tragically, they don't ship). It had a clean, bright, hoppy taste, with a scent like homemade strawberry jam. Later I had an exemplary lager made with chamomile, which imparted a honeyed leather flavor. Simply amazing. Oh, and the scenery? Fabulous. In the posted photo, there's a log to the bottom right. That marks high tide, which rises 25+ feet above low tide. It's the bay with the second most extreme tides in the world, after the Bay of Fundy. The weather was great, in the mid-50s during the day and still above freezing at night. I was completely thrown by the fact that it got dark at midnight and light again at 4am. One night we started dinner festivities at my hosts' home at 5:30, and at 10:00 the sun was still shining slantwise through their windows. They told me about how, as Chicago natives, they'd had to get used to the fact that they will never again take a walk in the dark on a summer night (because when it's warm enough to walk outside in shorts, it never gets dark); how there's no point in lighting fireworks over the 4th of July (but the locals do it anyway); and how they miss fireflies (why waste the energy glowing when it's light around the clock?). It's truly a different universe up there. Now I find myself sitting here at my computer, gazing out the windows at the Illinois prairie, trying to pretend that the clouds on the horizon are mountains.

5 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

wow - sounds amazing

i've had a hankering to visit alaska ever since becoming a 'northern exposure' fan

(that said, in the north of scotland at the height of summer, mr chick once took a bet with a friend that he would be able to read his watch at midnight without artificial light and he could! and the sun rises before 5am too!)

7:10 AM, May 01, 2007  
Blogger katiedid said...

That scenery looks gorgeous. It sounds like you swooped into a whole 'nother world. Bet you found just loads of picture taking opportunities while you were visiting. How fun!

12:16 PM, May 01, 2007  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

Pretty. But cold. And if it doesn't get dark, how does your body know when to sleep?

But enough about that -- what were the retailing opportunities like?

(This from the woman who just spent a week in NYC. Obviously, we have different travel needs.)

The strawberry jam smell in the pale ale was probably the esters in the yeast. Sounds wonderful. I do love a good pale ale. I tried a new beer in NY called Three Philosophers, which was a Belgian ale/kriek lambic blend. Quite nice for sitting in an outdoor cafe & sipping.

Welcome home, dearie.

8:52 PM, May 01, 2007  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Wow! That's one gorgeous photo.

I am so glad you had such a great time, K.

Hugs!

5:39 PM, May 02, 2007  
Blogger Carolyn said...

What a great trip. I want to visit Alaska one day. Such a beautiful, HUGE state. When we lived in Texas DH and I liked to remind all of the proud Texans about the comparative size of Alaska. Takes them down a few notches.

11:29 AM, May 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home