Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

I'm Not a Boy! ....Am I?

Okay, let's face it: my little girl looks like a boy. It doesn't help that I dress her in clothes bedecked with cars and trucks, but even when she's in gender-neutral clothes people think she's a boy. Heck, even when she's wearing a dress they think she's a boy, like it's the 1800s or something. The only time she's identified as unambiguously female is when she's wearing pink. Here's the weird thing: I'm pretty outspoken, so you'd think I'd be quick to correct people when they say, "He's so cute!" But I don't. It doesn't bother me at all. I think the sentiment is sweet, and why punish someone for a compliment with a reprimand, however gentle? My husband feels the same way. When she's older we might have to speak up to avoid giving her a complex, but for now, who cares? So we go out to breakfast every Sunday at the same place, where they make this fabulous thing called Cha-Cha Charritos (whole wheat tortilla stuffed with scrambled egg whites and black bean burger, covered with queso fresco and tomatillo salsa, doused with Cholula and dolloped with sour cream, good god my mouth is watering just describing it), and smile at people who comment on our darling little son. It's kind of fun to have a son sometimes, especially a sweet one who doesn't torture the dog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonniker said...

I really don't think she looks like a boy, but admittedly, I'm biased and know what she is, of course.

I think it's remarkably gracious of you not to correct people, really. Because at that age, honestly, don't all kids look kind of the same? There are no gender lines, and unless you really want to mess with the kid and stick her in pink skirts every day of her damn life, why not?

9:38 AM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

First of all, she's absolutely beautiful. Second of all, eh! She'll be fine. I was bald as a DivaCup until I was two, and my mother was positively allergic to ruffles, so I was also very much does-she-or-doesn't-she. Forty-plus years later, my list of errands for today included gassing up the car, hitting two different grocery stores, plus a pass through Saks to buy some concealer -- and I did all of them in 3-inch, patent leather heels. Take from this what you will...

9:12 PM, April 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home