Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Small World

I've been in Chicago for the past three days for a grantwriting workshop. Each afternoon, when we adjourn, I'm so eager to escape the canned air and flourescent lights of Northwestern University's Chicago campus that it doesn't even matter that the outside air is cold enough to turn my nosehairs crispy on contact.

Yesterday I even took my post-workshop flight as far as Barney's. I was rewarded twice: first, I got the chance to test the forthcoming Serge Lutens fragrance, Rousse. Verdict: winner. Smells like a cinnamon-orange pomander. Perfect for late fall, which of course is why it's due to arrive in April, right? *eyeroll* The Serge Lutens SA at Barney's, Erica, is a sweetheart who reminds me of Zooey Deschanel. She got excited when I promised to bring her samples of my Serge Lutens exclusives (Bois et Fruits, Rose de Nuit, and Iris Silver Mist) when I come back up in a few weeks.

My second reward was a chance meeting with Ina from aromascope, over by the l'Artisan section. We've "known" each other for years through makeupalley, but had never met in person. We started chatting about our mutual obsession for scent, then eyed each other suspiciously: are you one of us? I had a glimpse of what it's like for gay strangers to connect (although I don't think perfume freaks get beaten up if the stranger they're chatting up turns out to be uninterested in scent). Finally I barked out: "ARE YOU INA??" It was a wonderful moment. We chatted about various lines, I bought a bottle of Drole de Rose (can't handle its brasher Frederic Malle analog, Lipstick Rose, these days), and we headed out to Trader Joes, where I allowed Ina, with her superior acculturation and taste, to point me in the direction of TJ's best delicacies: turnip chips, thick Greek yogurt with honey, and blue-cheese stuffed olives. I added chocolate-covered peanut-butter-stuffed pretzels to my basket, because, you know, they sounded healthy. It was one of the best hotel-room dinners I've ever had.

Today I'm back under the flourescent lights. He's talking about writing a budget justification, and I'm typing a blog entry. This is going to bite me in the ass when my proposal is rejected, but hey, I got to try Rousse and meet Ina. On balance, a wholly successful trip!

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was SO fun to meet you, Kris! I particularly enjoyed the lightbulb moment - it took secons for my brain to recognize you. ;D I'm glad to see another TJ's convert, and Drole de Rose smelled divine on you. Have a safe trip home! And come again!

2:22 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger elle said...

I heard about your meeting from Ina. How cool to meet a fellow addict like that! :-) And am glad to hear you like Rousse. I loved it. Am tapping my fingers impatiently till it's released and I can get a full bottle.
Maller/Laurie

3:44 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

HI K,

I had no idea SL had a new fragrance out, but the way you describe it, with cinnaman and orange makes it sound delicious.

It is good that you are getting back into some of what interests you again. Motherhood, combined with work, can be so taxing, and it takes time to find our place back inside the world again.

Welcome back. Fi, by the way, is adorable.

7:32 AM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Wonderful, K! I am so happy that you met Ina and tested the SL Rousse. This one has received mixed reviews, but now that you have given it the "go," I can't wait to test it.

Hugs and love!

1:36 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh wow! That is such a crazy coincidence - how funny that you twigged onto the connection so quickly! Anyhow, how fortunate that you two were in the same place at the same time so you could meet. It sounds like your trip was just great: Nothing like a fortuitous suprise to perk up the day. :-)

1:39 PM, February 12, 2007  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

How funny! Whay a cool turn of events! I am glad to know the both of you--I also know and am friends with Erica you spoke of--LOVE HER!

I think the Rousse smelled like Maple syrup to me.

I am glad you had a nice time in Chicago!

2:18 PM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

I mean WHAT a cool turn of events--not a whay cool turn of events. It is WAY cool though.

2:19 PM, February 14, 2007  
Blogger katiedid said...

Happy V-Day to you and yours, K :)

7:10 PM, February 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home