Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bi-curious George


Yesterday we hosted Fia's first birthday party. Her birthday isn't until the 21st, but Mimi and Grandpa Ray didn't want to miss it, so Saturday the 17th it was.

Naturally, since I am food obsessed, I will start with the cake. A heavy brown-sugar-oatmeal concoction with toasted coconut speckling the layers, it was made by a talented local baker who covered it in buttercream and white chocolate "mosaic tiles" and put candied violets here and there. The blossoms looked like they were growing out of the earth between paver stones. Fia liquidated her portion with the slow, methodical detachment of a high priest, so even though she never squealed or smiled or smeared cake on herself, I think she liked it.

The party theme was "best loved books," so we ended up with some treasures. Fi loves nothing more than a warm lap and a pile of books, so we were thrilled to add to her collection. One guest gave her a bunch of Curious George books and a stuffed George, which after being loved and cuddled by my daughter somehow ended up in a compromising position atop her stuffed baboon, Maurice. I blame one of the adult male guests.

Other than that, the event was G-rated and actually quite moving, not just because it was my daughter's first birthday (a significant event for her), but because it gave me a chance to look around at all the people who have helped G and me throughout a very challenging year. I am indeed blessed.

Ooh, ooh--speaking of blessed, I was playing with old perfume samples last week and rediscovered Norma Kamali's Beach. A lot of perfume descriptions boast of mimicking the scent of sunwarmed skin, but this one really delivers. I usually shun tropical scents and actively loathe the scent of coconut (unless I'm eating it--see above), but these notes are blended so expertly in Beach that it smells less like suntan lotion and more like a suntan than any other beach-themed scent I've tried. Like any true American, I bought twice as much as I needed for only slightly more than I could afford at www.barxv.com.

3 Comments:

Blogger violetnoir said...

What a joyous landmark for you, G and, of course, the birthday person, Fi! And that cake sounds delectable, K. A very Happy Birthday to a very special girl and her proud parents!

I will have to try Norma Kamali Beach, K. It sounds delectable, too, ha, ha! But for now, I am enjoying Maharanih and waiting patiently for my Chanel Exclusif decants. :):)

Hugs and love!

5:16 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Happy birthday Fia!!

I still remember my son's first birthday party...everything after that is a blur :-)

And I want that cake, LOL...

7:00 PM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger Anjali said...

HA! I think I spit out my orange juice when I read that title :) "Best Loved Books"? That sounds like MY kind of party. Especially with that cake! I'm glad it went well, and I'm sending Fi tons and tons of birthday love and hugs!!

Beach *is* surprisingly pretty. Bond No. 9's Fire Island is another puzzlingly captivating "ocean" scent -- to me, tuberoses mixed with the faint echo of sea breezes and the warm glow of sunbathed skin. Could possibly be up your alley :)

10:24 AM, February 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home