Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Update

He died.

:,-(

The vet told me that usually they put a seizing animal under anesthetic to calm it, but this one had been seizing for so long (as evident by its empty crop--it hadn't been able to eat for quite some time) that the anesthetic itself was the final blow.

The vet suspected that it was a toxic reaction. Either the bird got into something poisonous, or someone poisoned it (see below).

Poor baby.

5 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

That's so sad... at least you tried to get the poor thing some sort of comfort though. Not everyone would stop to consider the suffering of a small bird, especially a pigeon, which are much loathed where I live.

7:53 PM, May 23, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Thanks Katiedid. I must say I'm not a big fan of pigeons and ordinarily ignore them, but it was one of those "How can we walk away from this?" situations for my stranger-companion and me.

At least the little flapper is in peace now. *crosses self, old Catholic habit*

8:32 PM, May 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sad ending to a sad story. Like you, I hate to see any animal suffer. At least you did what you could for him, Kris. Many people would not have.

Seems you're doing a lot of rescuing lately -- first the woman at the grocery store, and now this bird. Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work -- it could be you are meant to be a paramedic, a social worker, or....???

P.S. Many people on the fragrance board (myself included) miss you and your posts.

11:18 PM, May 23, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Sue and Jonna -- thanks for your sweet comments. Sue -- I inherited my compulsion to rescue animals (of all kinds) from my mother, who could NOT turn away a stray and actually went out looking for them.

And poor Jonna, don't feel bad. It was an accident and the possum probably never knew what hit it. I was driving with a friend in high school once and she hit a raccoon. On her way home from dropping me off SHE HIT ANOTHER ONE. She walked around shaken for a week, poor girl. I've never hit one (that I know of) but it's bound to happen sometime, and I'm sure I'll freak out when it does.

But you both should know I have my limits. I killed a spider the other day with no hesitation whatsoever (though I did perform a small toiletside service in its honor as it swirled down).

8:40 AM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

How terribly sad, K.

At least you were able to provide some relief to this baby.

12:48 PM, May 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home