Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

How Much Do You Love your Child?

Enough to buy him or her LA PETITE MAISON CUSTOM PLAYHOUSE for $30,000.00?

According to FAO Schwarz, if you are a truly committed parent you will "Move up to what may be the most luxurious playhouse in the world. Imagine what your child’s dream house can be, developed with the guidance of a professional children's interior designer. The discriminating craftsmanship and intricate architectural detailing is superior to that found in most adult homes, with standard features like 8' ceilings, recessed lighting, bay windows, and drywalled interiors, plus options such as electricity, heating and air-conditioning, miniature kitchen with running water, custom child-sized furnishings, a miniature media room, garage, and a grand staircase. We’ll help you bring your child’s dream house to life. Playhouse is built on-site."

Something about this saddens me. Maybe it's the phrase "superior to that found in most adult homes." I look at this playhouse and think about all the homeless people out there who would give anything to live in it.

It's not the cost that bothers me. Thirty grand is tremendously expensive for a child's gift, but people spend that kind of money times 10 when they choose to send their kids to private schools or buy them cars or pay their medical bills or buy a bigger home with more space for the whole family to live and play. I think what gets me is the idea of turning a home into a plaything when so many families have no home at all. The very idea of this playhouse mocks those living in poverty.

I don't think you spoil a child by investing money in her. I think you spoil her by encouraging her to believe that she deserves more than others. I understand that parents love their kids and want to make them happy (heaven knows if my parents bought this playhouse it would have made ME happy), but I sincerely hope that the kids whose parents have lined FAO Schwarz execs' pockets by purchasing this "toy" are exposed at some point in their short childhoods to the way the other half -- excuse me, the other 99% -- lives. Having spent 5 years teaching very spoiled children at the University of Michigan, I understand why business schools across the country have adopted Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel & Dimed as part of their curriculum. Someone needs to let these kids know that they are no better than anyone else, because many of them have made it to age 21 without ever having entertained that thought. It's a pity.

Speaking of kids: the amnio went fine. Now I'm just nervously awaiting the results. My deepest thanks to all of you who emailed, called, and posted your support on my blog. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

8 Comments:

Blogger mireille said...

great, great news, K. xoxo

1:10 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

As you know, I am delighted. It was great to talk with you last week, and continued good thoughts and wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

Now, does pampering one's beloved pooch differ from that of a child? You betcha.

Tomorrow, I meet with parisjasmal and the crew. Wish you were here, K.
Many hugs and kisses.

2:33 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Meegan said...

This is CRAZY. Some people really do have more money than God.

BTW, congrats on Jermajesty!

4:47 PM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Congrats on the amnio.

And I'll admit, I want that playhouse. For me. Screw the kids. But for $30,000 maybe not wanting it SO much.

2:54 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Niobium said...

What better way to ensure your daughters will know how to make tea, take care of babies, clean house, and do other mudane (middle class) wifely duties? Buy them a starter home. When their five.

4:35 PM, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm drooling here; as a space-and-privacy deprived Manhattanite who's desperately trying to maintain my sanity while writing my novel in the very active midst of four family members (1 human, 1 canine, 2 feline)all crammed into a 400 square foot space...

I NEED the La Petite Maison Custom Playhouse!!!!!!!!!

Wondering - would the "on-site" builders be okay with constructing this on the roof of the restaurant kitchen that sits behind my back window? Because that's the plot I'd using.

So glad your tests went well! :)

11:15 AM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

That playhouse is to die for! My sister and I had a playhouse ourdoors and it was so much fun. We'd go out there and read our books and we'd put our dog in the doll crib out there.

Great news about the tests! Only the best!

11:20 PM, September 01, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Poverty is owning a horse."

Some people truly can never put their lives in perspective. I don't understand that.

9:55 AM, September 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home