Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Puffed Up with Pride

One of my former doctoral students is the subject of the cover story of this week's Economist. The research paper summarized in the article is one I helped him revise and encouraged him to submit for publication. He's now my colleague because we hired him after he finished his PhD at the institution where I worked before I left for the job I hold now. It's great fun to see a former student (and a current colleague) get high-profile coverage.

Yikes. If I feel this puffed up with pride now, heaven help me when my own kid first accomplishes something. You POOPED? Wow, honey, that calls for a celebration!!! Then, too, I will probably play up my own marginally significant role in the whole thing: I fed her the carrots that led to that poop, you know.

5 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

That is indeed a great accomplishment! Something to have pride in.

Did you receive the email I sent to you yesterday, the response? I will resent it.

Hope you are feeling well today.

1:59 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger mireille said...

well, where else would she have got those carrots? hm? xoxo

3:54 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Niobium said...

As long as you don't turn into one of those mothers who has a PhD but talks only of her diaper genie.

7:09 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

That's great news! Regarding the carrots, my sister once had a friend who had wild mushrooms growing inside her home.

1:38 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

Congratulations! I know that feeling, it's wonderful and I'm proud of both of you.

Don't get me started on poop. I was having a conversation with some friends who were over one day, talking about somebody we knew and the woman who worked for him. I was saying "He treats her like his own personal slave, and when he shouts, she jumps." At that moment, my daughter yelled to me from the bathroom "Mommy, wipe my BUTT!!!"

7:13 AM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home