Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

These Were a Few of My Favorite Things

Now that I'm no longer allowed to consume it, I can't stop thinking about food. Not all food, just the foods I used to love and assumed would always be a part of my life.

Take a look, open-mouthed with awe and pity, and what I cannot ingest FOR NINE MONTHS:

Sushi.
Sashimi.
Blue cheese.
Camembert.
Brie.
Pretty much any soft or unpasteurized cheese.
Wine.
Wine?
WINE.
Candy.
CANDY.
--even at Halloween.
French bread.
French fries.
French toast.
Corn chips.
Pasta.
Muffins.
Cookies.
Ice cream.
McDonald's fries.
Coffee.
CHOCOLATE.

Now here's a list of what I can eat, lucky me:

Tofu.
Fruit (one piece per meal, please).
Chicken.
Turkey.
Beef.
Cheese.
Eggs.
Low-carb bread (one slice per meal, please, and not with the fruit; it's either/or, sister).
Low-starch veggies -- no carrots or spuds.
Teensy amounts of carbs like beans and brown rice. We're talking 1/3 cup. ONE-THIRD.

The above cartoon, courtesy of The Onion, was meant to inspire feelings of disgust, but it just makes me salivate.

I wonder if that Lardito comes with a side of Pintos 'n Cheese.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bela said...

For the past five years I've eaten the same thing every single day so I can sympathize a little - only a little because at least you will be able to eat normally in a few months' time.

6:40 PM, August 04, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Ah, yes, J, you have to follow the World's Strictest Diet. Ugh. Part of my angst comes from knowing that gestational diabetes increases the likelihood of developing type II later on, so I fear that this may end up being a more-or-less lifelong change for me. My father and brother both have type II, and my brother, like me, is very thin and active and avoids junk food. Sometimes you can control it with habits, sometimes -- if your genes are strong enough -- you can't.
:-(

8:42 AM, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruit is tricky ,no Bananas no apples, oranges, or melons. But on the good side blueberrys, blackberrys raspberrys& strawberrys never raise mine bs & are helpful.Where is the milk in your menu,it is fine,hey bonus it does not have to be skim. Coffee should not bother you. The thing is after a short while, your body will respond to this diet and you will have more freedom in food. Try testing before and after a food ,to get to know whator which one will raise it higher.
I gained 15 lbs with first child and 16 with second, 7lbs2oz 7lbs 7oz babies. I did not carry any post bady weight another bonus. You dont want to mess with that set point now do you? I knew I was a (mild)diabetic at age 2 but it took like 100 years to show up in the high ranges. Seriously Kris it is not a big deal just a big change,some would even say or the better. I do,as I have no other health problems,which I credit my diet for a lot. Wish you could get The bowel buddys(cookie wafers) from here they really are good,and you know how I beleve in fiber LOL Loads of luck oh hungry one. K

10:09 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Thanks sweetie -- good advice. Your story is really interesting; it sounds like you had a mild case of type-I that got worse with age. I wonder if I'm in a similar situation. And yes, I know I'm whining, but I've had all of 3 weeks to deal with it, so I hope you will allow me some transition time. :-)

11:27 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

(I mean the collective YOU here, not any particular person.) :-)

11:28 AM, August 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course we will I have had a lifetime to understand it. Try checking this out www.abundancehealth.com The C.D A.recommends them and they do hype them for Other things LOL but have a cookie feel,and good crunch.They come bagged small two wafer packages . Sounds like I own the company so I will stop. Dinner tonight is Hummos & T.,no Pita. Behind you all the way girl. K

4:23 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Maybe you can try some of the pre-marinated tofus? (Not sure what their sugar/fat/carb/etc. contents are, though.) I really love the "Pete's" brand ones, specifically the ginger-sesame, and the tequila-lime flavors. They stirfry in a non-stick pan just brilliantly.

5:01 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Mmmmm, tequila....

6:41 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

Oh man, my Grandmother and mom both had/have Type 2! *sobs* I don't want to look into that crystal ball!

4:22 AM, August 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home