Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Little Ms. President

Babycenter.com has just come out with its list of the top 100 baby names of 2005. Don't ask me what their data source is. I think it's safe to assume these are U.S. names. Since we're having a girl, I thought I'd share with you the most popular girls' names, along with some random musings.

1 Emma
2 Emily
3 Madison
4 Kaitlyn
5 Sophia
6 Isabella
7 Olivia
8 Hannah
9 Makayla
10 Ava
11 Abigail
12 Sarah
13 Hailey
14 Kaylee
15 Madeline
16 Ella
17 Grace
18 Mia
19 Riley
20 Samantha
21 Sydney
22 Lauren
23 Mackenzie
24 Chloe
25 Alyssa
26 Lily
27 Alexis
28 Natalie
29 Taylor
30 Anna
31 Brianna
32 Zoe
33 Kylie
34 Ashley
35 Elizabeth
36 Megan
37 Allison
38 Kayla
39 Katherine
40 Kyra
41 Isabelle
42 Morgan
43 Savannah
44 Jasmine
45 Arianna
46 Avery
47 Julia
48 Rachel
49 Maya
50 Jordan
51 Brooke
52 Paige
53 Victoria
54 Peyton
55 Katie
56 Abby
57 Gabriella
58 Alexandra
59 Leah
60 Jessica
61 Rebecca
62 Brooklyn
63 Gabrielle
64 Audrey
65 Amelia
66 Jenna
67 Reagan
68 Sophie
69 Trinity
70 Sierra
71 Cadence
72 Lillian
73 Ashlyn
74 Bailey
75 Gracie
76 Faith
77 Kendall
78 Kate
79 Molly
80 Claire
81 Kennedy
82 Caroline
83 Addison
84 Marissa
85 Alana
86 Destiny
87 Jada
88 Amanda
89 Alexa
90 Erin
91 Layla
92 Gianna
93 Ellie
94 Camryn
95 Nicole
96 Angelina
97 Charlotte
98 Aaliyah
99 Mckenna
100 Lucy

Random musing #1: Madison, Reagan, Taylor, and Kennedy. Hmm. Okay, maybe it makes sense to name an infant girl after a middle-aged male president. It's probably the closest she'll ever come to occupying a position of political power. But REAGAN? I mean, haven't these people seen The Exorcist? And if they're going to honor presidents, why not Carter? Or Lincoln? Or, for the dark-humored, Nixon? What about Taft? Or Roosevelt? (We'll call her Rosie.) Hell, why not HARRISON? There were two of them. Yes, there were/are two Bushes as well, but I hope nobody would stoop so low as to name their baby girl Bush (or, for that matter, Johnson), unless they want to drive her toward a seedy occupation -- and I'm not talking politics. Speaking of the Bushes and bad names: Pierce Bush? PIERCE BUSH? Hello, Ron Jeremy? Your replacement has arrived.

Random musing #2: I love that Kennedy, Caroline, and Addison are all in a row, given their associations. Caroline and Kennedy = Caroline Kennedy (duh), but did you know that both JFK Sr. and Jr. had Addison's Disease? They also had Graves' Disease, as do both George H. W. Bush and Barbara Bush, their dog Millie (RIP), and yours truly. So why isn't Graves on the list?

Random musing #3: I also love that Molly and Claire are adjacent, given that Molly Ringwald played a character named Claire in The Breakfast Club. This observation shows how shallow my thoughts can be.

Random musing #4: Oh, how times change. Angelina is on the list, and gee, I wonder where that came from. Over 100 years ago, my maternal great grandmother, who ended up serving as a nurse in both world wars, was given the name Angeline Ethelda. She went by Ethelda because Angeline was ugly.

Random musing #5: Eric Clapton should like #91. I'm sensing a dichotomy here: people either name their little girls after media temptresses (Layla, Angelina, Jezebel -- oh wait, Jezebel isn't on the list this year) OR extremely powerful political leaders. Once again, the old madonna/whore thing rears its ugly head...

Random musing #6: I think I can guess where Brooklyn came from. I blame it on all those issues of Hello! magazine available at Barnes & Noble. Damn that Posh Spice. Actually, Brooklyn isn't that far-fetched as a girl's name. It's a combination of two widely accepted girl's names, Brooke and Lynn. But if I were going to name my kid after one of the boroughs, I'd pick Staten Island or Bronx. Nobody would mess with her. Queens? Only if it's a boy.

Please amuse me by adding your own random musings.

10 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

I would like it very much if you would randomly muse ALL THE TIME. You slay me.

I have nothing interesting to add, as predictably I am inordinately fond of number 55.

Oh wait, Alexis?? How could anyone who grew up during the 80s even consider it?? How does that not conjur up connotations of big shoulder pads, makeup guns set to "whore," and cat-fights? Good lord. Some people. At least "Krystal" hasn't made a comeback so far.

And Destiny - hee. Well, it's a sight better than Beyonce I guess.

3:13 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello K,

Love your musings. I know you and G will find the perfect name for the baby.

I hope the holidays are treating you well.
Hope you are doing wonderful and enjoying the heck out of pregnancy!

xo
Jen

5:07 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger mireille said...

"Or, for the dark-humored, Nixon?" heh. Yeah, katie's right. You're good at that random musing. You free associate better than any of the rest of us ... so, we know the name you'll choose is somewhere in that subconscious of yours. You haven't told us yet, have you? Also, is she going to be a Valentine's baby? Valentina has such a Russian feel to it, for some reason *attempt at random musing* xoxo

5:30 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Many, many years ago, I knew someone in California who named her baby girl Madison. I remember thinking what a charming & unusual name that was...well, we all know how that turned out. It is very hard to find a name! My favorite name for a girl is Nora (after Nick & Nora), and very happy that nobody has jumped on that bandwagon :-)

5:35 PM, January 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does no one remember Splash? When the mermaid picked her name because of the street, and they all commented how dumb it was?

Heh. Times change. Brooklyn. Gross.

I went to high school with four Reagans. There was Reagan, Raegan, Regan and Ragan. All girls, of course.

FWIW, K, Nathans parents have changed the name to Nathan Parker. Which means that the letter we get is a 'B', not a P.

Why can't we get 'R' or 'A' or even 'F'?

FUCKING B.

10:27 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Bela said...

Posh & Beck called their baby Brooklyn because that's where he was conceived, didn't they? I've just seen Silkwood for the tenth time on TV: do you remember the joke someone tells about the naming of Native Americans? "And why do you want to know about it, Two-Dogs-F*cking?" LOL!

10:50 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

Well, now I'm really glad we didn't name our second daughter Arianna or she'd be on this list and I'd feel oh, so trendy. I really wanted Anais, but DH nixed that right out of the bag.

My goddaughter is named Peyton, which I always thought was kind of weird, since it was the name of the street my brother lived on for several years. I thought it was usually spelled pAyton, but, uh, apparently that's when it's a boy's name. Oh, silly me.

Interesting to see a decent smattering of more "traditional" names thrown in there with the Kylies, Rileys and Destinys. (I also know a couple whose daughter is Riley.) Emma is a classic and yet it's #1! Ella was DH's grandmother's name. Amelia, Lillian, Audrey...all beautiful names, all bring to mind women in hats in black & white movies. But that's just me.

When Albuquerque makes this list, I'll be impressed.

11:09 AM, January 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Name time it is getting close now...My Grandmother was named Carrie now it did make it into a movie but love that name & lucy No reason? MY dog is Calais we call her calit works for me. But my all time hit is my now gone part wolf dog Brindle, brin for the people who shorten names. GOOD LUCK did anyone mention to you Kris that you have to push this baby out?

News on my front: I have rushed to tell you my AIc was 6.3!!!!!! I have been 8.2,8.1 an so on for so long .....I feel like I get to have a cap and gown for this one! Of course instead I did what any respectable I ate a candy . Practice running around about now with you backside open to the world due to your ah hum gown!!Got to love the stretchy plastic ties! SOON come Marley said what did he know Best of all things to you Katie

4:31 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

6.3 -- that's great Katie! Hard work pays off, doesn't it? (I will try to remember that during labor...) :-)

12:58 PM, January 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm number 64. Funny how it's a popular girl's name now. When I was a kid the only other Audrey I knew was my grandmother (that was before I discovered Breakfast at Tiffany's). Now days I have to be careful. Many a time I've been put off by someone shouting, "Audrey! Put that down!" when out shopping. I've dropped the item in my hands nearly every time. All Audreys these days seem to be very naughty.

8:54 PM, January 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home