Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Aren't You Hungry?

Check out this appetizing photo from Plan59, one of my new favorite websites. (Thanks, Maria, for first sending me there.) The adjoining recipe for "Peas in Potato Boats" was part of a 1949 ad for Birdseye frozen foods.

Am I the only one who sees yonic symbolism here? Am I the only one recoiling at the leukocytic look of that white sauce?

Ads like these do more to advance my understanding of my parents, who were born in 1941 and thus spent their childhoods eating meals like this, than all of the hours with my therapist combined.

7 Comments:

Blogger PFG said...

Oh damn, I'm glad I had breakfast already.

9:53 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger mireille said...

"Yonic symbolism" LOLOL! Tantric peas! Only you, K! xoxo

12:51 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Bela said...

Being French I've never been subjected to this kind of food (?). Yuck! I had a couple of frozen fish fingers for the first time in 1965, I think - as a curiosity. Never had it again at home. I still don't like frozen stuff.

What were you brought up on, K?

What traumatizes me more is the knowledge that I am only seven years younger than your parents. :-(

8:17 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Sand said...

That looks so gross yet if given the chance, I'd probably try it!

8:35 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

J -- seven years younger but much more energetic. :-)

I was fortunate enough to be raised by a mom who believed strongly in whole foods. I think she got into it because she was looking for a natural way to keep the family psyche balanced (she was the one who got us all into transcendental meditation too). We could only eat dark, whole-grain breads, real yogurt, fruits, veggies, cheese, etc. No sugared cereals, no white bread, no junk food. Carob instead of chocolate -- what was THAT about? Of course I hated it at the time, but now it was the best thing for my body chemistry.

8:40 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

You already know how my childhood nutrition was so similar to yours, but I just have to say this: Next time I'm about to type "looks like a vagina" for lack of a more poetic way to say it (not that this happens often, of course), I know where to turn.

Yonic symbolism indeed.

Thinking of you every day now. Wake up, wondering if today's the day little winterwheat will decide to join us.

9:24 AM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Bela said...

Carob instead of chocolate! I would have left home as soon as I could. LOL!

8:39 PM, February 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home