Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Fashionably Late

Well, it seems that baby girl has decided to make her entrance fashionably late. I visited the OB today, and the internal exam suggested that I've made no progress since last week's exam, which showed no progress since the week before, which showed no progress since the week before that. In other words, I've been in a cervical holding pattern (80% effaced, undilated) for almost 4 weeks.

Which meant we needed to talk induction. Now, I am very proud of the fact that I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 8 weeks and have managed it successfully, without insulin, for almost 33 weeks now. The head OB nurse said I'm the first patient she's known in 20 years who was diagnosed that early and didn't end up needing insulin. The other OB nurse told me I'm the most compliant diabetic patient she's ever known. (I guess people around here need their Krispy Kreme.) I told them both that if they gave me a big-five personality test, I'd score off the charts on conscientiousness and neuroticism, so my compliance isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm also blessed with a robust case of the Disease to Please and a pathetic and desperate need for external validation, all of which have been crushing burdens until now. It's nice that for once all of my personality flaws have actually done me some good.

BUT -- it's not good enough. Letting a pregnant woman go 42 weeks before induction can be risky. The placenta can degrade, the baby can become too big for a vaginal delivery, there can be meconium (poop to you and me) in the amniotic fluid. All of these risks are higher in women with gestational diabetes. So my OB doesn't want me to go past 41 weeks, and I am inclined to agree. (Then again, that could be the Disease to Please talkin'.)

Therefore, we've scheduled an induction for Tuesday February 21 -- assuming baby girl decides not to make her entrance before that.

It's surreal to think that a week from now, either way, we'll have an infant in the house.

Is it too late to take it all back?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG.

!!!

I, too, as you know, have the Disease to Please, and have spent large chunks of this post nodding my head, "yes, yes, I'd be the same way."

She's almost here! I'm so excited for you.

9:39 PM, February 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Therefore, we've scheduled an induction for Tuesday February 21 -- assuming baby girl decides not to make her entrance before that."

So cute. They measured my lump of a baby just before her due date and annouced she should probably be delivered before she got large. Her due date was the next day, but the OB/GYN was quite somber and said his measurements put her at a whopping eight and a half pounds. Dear God, it's time to go, woman. He said he'd give me a week to think it over.

And wouldn't you know? `That night, around 2am, POP goes the water. Wild. And out came a giant pig who looked like a faerie elf on steroids. So, since you've scheduled an induction, be very, very aware of the day before, or even the week before. She may be tempted to hold up her ilttle baby finger to the world and do it on her time schedule.

I'm so thrilled for you...you've done amazing. WAY more than most pregnant women have to overcome...and little FiFi will be your reward (she'll always be a good girl, a thoughtful girl, a strong girl, a smart girl and a future Olympian).

Thinking of you TONS, and sending heaps of support. Enjoy sleeping. Because she's a' comin'...and sooner than you think. Cute little monchichi monkey.

xoxox
M

1:13 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Mimey said...

Spicy curries, cleaning high cupboards, raspberry leaf tea, physical intimacy with male of choice. All supposed to help bring it on. Probably nonsense. Well done on such a good job for your own and baby's health. Not everyone bothers that much. (external praise a-plenty here). And good luck.

3:01 AM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only mentioned one birth here out of my two children. Yeppers #1 was a induction ,the due date not given as my cycles were so irregular. Delievery is quick and hard about 6 hours for me. I really can't say I was fond of the idea of a induction myself.
Your photo from last week looked like the baby was high to my untrained eye. Hoping you dililate soon ..& Much Patience!
No you can't be the most compliant diabetic as I thought I had won that award. LOL. Good Luck Kris on delievering soon with no induction but either way wishes of a speedy delievery Katie

4:01 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

"cute little monchichi monkey" -- LOL! M -- I seem to remember you describing living with a baby/toddler a little less glowingly as living with a permanently drunk roommate. :-)

JVS -- I should have mentioned that my biggest motivator has been terror at the prospect of having a giant baby. Terror will whip just about anyone into shape.

K -- I have no doubt that you could show me a thing or two about managing diabetes; you already have (thank you!). About the way I'm carrying -- she does look high, doesn't she? But the OB says she's fully dropped/engaged, and I can feel it when I walk. I think she just looks high because, well, she's a two-foot-long giant and is taking up every square inch of space between my pubic bone and sternum.

8:06 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Bela said...

Hey, the future actress (hee hee!) is almost here! Tuesday's Child is Full of Grace.

Hope you have an easy time of it. :-)

8:43 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Take the pregnancy a day at a time!

My son was 9 days late. Consider now the most peaceful time.

Sending you lots of love, as usual.

9:16 AM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE : no way I could teach you anything about diabetes honey you did a lot better than I did! OMIGOSH to she has dropped ,like my mouth right now ...is that what it looks like when you are over 5' tall unlike me ? I amend that one, "she IS ready to meet mommy & daddy & cowgirl "Come on baby LOL ...K

11:16 AM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

oh Kris, I hope you have her today! I had my baby today. Feb 17th is a good day! Here's her birth story.

12:24 PM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

Ok, I have never been preggers so I comment here only hesitantly. When cjblue's first kid wouldn't come out, my ex (doctor) said "tell her to have sex!"
He had a great bedside manner, can you tell? cjblue can give you the lowdown on whether it helped.

3:14 PM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger katiedid said...

All I can say is good luck, and really, I want to say it. GOOD LUCK! I'm so excited for you.

6:10 PM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my lord!

You are really beautiful, your homemade cake is really beautiful and your child will be truly blessed genetically and in every other way thinkable!

Wishing you all the absolute very best!

11:08 AM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

K-
Will be thinking of you on Tuesday and sending you all my best wishes. I know everything will be glorious! I cannot wait to hear if she looks like the ultrasound pics!

By the way...I saw a paint color in a magazine and loved it. I was hell bent for about a week to find out what color it was...well I finally figured it out after much investigation--and guess what it is?
winter wheat!

xo
Jen

1:49 PM, February 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow (it's almost Tuesday now! wow!), K. I was induced at 41 weeks myself, and I had GD, so I know that nervous "should I or shouldn't I? am I ready yet?" feeling. Sending you all my best wishes for a wonderful birth experience and a healthy little girl. -- Sue

10:37 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

*waiting* *whistling*.

Can't wait to hear how you and the little angel are doing!

hugs,
Laura

2:12 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

I only just saw pfg's comment and, uh, I can tell you that I did take her ex's advice, we did have sex and I did go into labor - the morning I was scheduled to be induced.

I doubt this advice will help you at this point though - since you are most definitely a mama!!!

Can't wait to hear the news. ♥

3:00 PM, February 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's, like, the 24th. You must have a small drunk monkey by NOW. *bites nails*

xo
Marina

11:33 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Mimey said...

Congratulations, I hear, Jx

5:57 AM, February 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home