Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Isn't It a Pity

I'm mortified with embarrassment. I can't believe I've been maintaining a blog for over a month and haven't posted anything about the Beatles.

They look a little miffed, but they'll get over it.

The Beatles were my early childhood. I think I can trace it back to Abbey Road playing on the 8-track in my family's very own version of the "metallic pea family truckster" from National Lampoon's Vacation (1983). Ours had wood-grain sides and a baking-hot "wayback," where the adults tucked me away for long trips. (For shorter trips I occupied the hump in the middle of the back seat because my big brothers invariably called the window seats.)

Fortunately there were speakers in the wayback. Abbey Road was released two days after I was born, in the fall of 1969, and that 8-track stayed in the car for years. By the time I was four I probably knew more Beatles songs than nursery rhymes.

The cool thing about the Beatles was that they grew with you. As a kid you loved them because the songs were fun. Yellow Submarine, anyone? Later you adored them because Paul McCartney was just. so. cute. When you developed a moody, adolescent brand of pre-feminism, John Lennon was there to guide you through. Questioning your spirituality in young adulthood? George Harrison to the rescue.

Sorry Ringo. I can't find anything to credit you with.

After paying homage to the Fab Four with a visit to Liverpool in 1984 (from which I returned with a pillowcase printed with a photo of Paul McCartney's face), I became a bit less fervent in my fanship. My former Beatlemania is now a mild case of BeatleOCD. I suppose it's a sign of recovery that I went this long without honoring them on my blog. But total recovery, which I assume would mean no references to the Beatles ever again, doesn't interest me.

So--do you like the Beatles? If so, let me know. Who's your favorite? What are your favorite albums and songs?

If you don't like the Beatles, sod off. I don't trust people who don't like the Beatles, just as I don't trust people who don't like dogs.

8 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I love the Beatles, and remember when they first were a hit, I think in the late 60s. I used to like Ringo alot, especially this song Act Naturally. There are so many tunes I love, When I'm 64, Can't Buy Me Love, Paperback Writer, etc. etc...

Great topic, K!

7:45 PM, June 26, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Hooray! DH and I danced to When I'm Sixty-Four at our wedding. And Paul will be 64 next year (June 18). Bet he never thought he'd have a toddler at that age. Heh.

8:21 PM, June 26, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi K!

I'm with you on not trusting people who don't like the Beatles and dogs... :)

xoxo
Ange

1:35 AM, June 27, 2005  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

The Beatles were my childhood too, along with Simon & Garfunkel and Dylan. It is interesting now to see which songs interest my son -- who of course, starts right off with the entire catalog at his disposal. We had to wait for the White Album.

Anyway, his favorites are mostly from Revolver: I'm Only Sleeping & Dr Robert are the ones he plays over & over.

8:28 AM, June 27, 2005  
Blogger mireille said...

I LOVE the Beatles ... favorite for his belligerence and politics: John ... favorite song (tough call) "I've Just Seen A Face" /dh adds "Norwegian Wood" xoxoxox

9:05 AM, June 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A piece of trivia...John Lennon asked my mother out on a date (many years ago) and she went. She decided that she was actually attracted to George Harrison. Needless to say, the story ends there.
Favorite song...Something (maybe).

10:13 AM, June 27, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

Oh K, I don't like the Beatles. I've tried but I never took to them, even after a childhood filled with Beatles songs, my Dad used to sing Yellow Submarine to me before going to bed. There is even a story about when I came home after I was born and my Dad's family came to see me they were knocking on my door and my Aunt mentioned that would be my song something about knocking on my door. I don't know the song because I don't like The Beatles - it makes her so sad to hear it as I have to mention it to her everytime she brings up that story!

10:20 AM, June 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kris,

That is a blast from the past! Yep, I remember listening to "I want to hold your hand" in the closet on cheapy transistor radio!

However, the group which got me through my "turbulent teens" and to whose music and I lyrics I could relate, was the Doors. Still kicking self for turning down invitation to see Jimi Hendrix at local small concert hall when I was in H.S.; if I'd only known!!!

Still a Doors fan and a Stones fan (how inspirational to see nearly 60+somethings rockin' away; I LOVE it!!) KEEF!!!! Looking forward to their 2006 tour.

Thank you for this "trip down memory lane."}

10:43 AM, July 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home