Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Wearing My Mint-Flavored Shoes

Pbttthhhhmphsppbbttt... sorry, had my foot in my mouth there.

Wouldn't you know it, I had a great time in Jackson Hole. Everyone was supportive, helpful, and complimentary. It helped that our first speaker was funny as hell--she studies media and adolescent sexuality and showed a PowerPoint slide of Miss Piggy with one nipple exposed, à la Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl. Her humorous approach set the tone for the entire weekend.

Magnificent scenery also has a way of keeping the ego in check. A few of us took the aerial tram to the top of one of the mountains in the Grand Teton range. (Those are some grand tetons, ma'am.) There we were at 10,000 feet, crunching around in the snow, huffing and puffing like out-of-shape middle-aged 2-pack-a-dayers in our jeans, tank tops, and sandals. The lack of oxygen and temperature drop (from 70 at the base of the tram to 45 at the top) made me realize how thin our atmosphere actually is. I felt so small and fragile. But it was good to feel that way.

Now I'm back on the Illinois prairie, bingeing on oxygen and enjoying the view of... uh... oxygen. The upshot is, it's a very pretty shade of blue. Plus there are some white patches. Which is nice.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O... you were in my little town. I'm so glad you got to see it!!

Come back in January for the flip side of paradise. Well...it's still paradise if you love both to ski and to become hypothermic while looking at the perty mountains.

~clearing

6:47 PM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

I am so glad you ended up having an enjoyable trip! It's so funny you should mention the altitude. I forgot how disconcerting I found it when I first moved from SD to live at the base of Mt. Hood here in OR. Now I'm so used to it I don't ever think about it anymore.

The Miss Piggy speaker sounds like she must have been a hoot to talk to!

7:46 PM, June 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely trip!!

miss you!

-Mulligan's Lookalike's sister.

1:41 AM, June 21, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like an educational and fun trip. I am happy you are back and safe. And love the minty shoes. What fragrance will you wear with those?
xox
b

1:47 PM, June 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruubes? RUUUUBY?! xo --imp

7:26 PM, June 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just sayin' hi and miss you.

2:41 PM, June 25, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Impish!!!!!!!! Glamourpuss!!!!! :-D

2:34 PM, June 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home