Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Killing Him Softly with My Song

Poor Greg'ry. In my 3-month-old quest to learn to play piano and read music, I have tortured him by playing the SAME DAMN SONGS over and over again. Badly, I might add.

This month it's been worse than ever because I'm finally playing a REAL song, so I have to practice more than usual. It's a simple arrangement of Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer." Those who were alive in 1973 will recognize it as the theme song to the Oscar-winning movie The Sting starring Paul Newman and---sigh---Robert Redford.

Robert Redford. Robert Redford Robert Redford Robert Redford.

My mom was in love with Robert Redford when I was a kid. I think it rubbed off on me. I've often wondered where I got my thing for men with blond hair that hangs in their eyes. The answer is apparent, I think, in my current fixation on "The Entertainer." I can't stop playing it because it reminds me of Robert Redford. Heaven help me if I ever get my hands on a simple arrangement of "The Way We Were."

'Fess-Up Time: This is actually the second event in recent months that hints at a latent, long-lived thing for Robert Redford. Last fall I was obsessed with locating the Twilight Zone DVD that features an episode called "Nothing in the Dark" (ep. # 81, January 5, 1962) starring RR as... get this... DEATH. Yes, the Grim Reaper. In the guise of a wounded policeman.

He was 24 years old and SO. FREAKING. HANDSOME.

Now, of course, he's in his 70s and a bit old for me, and anyhow I've already found a handsome blond of my own, so it's all okay. But those memory traces don't die easily.

Incidentally, my very first movie-star crush was Dustin Hoffman in Little Big Man (1970). If you happen to know the theme music to All the President's Men (1976), please don't tell me. My head might explode.

7 Comments:

Blogger baconwrappedfriedchicken said...

Hi K!

I have a thing for brunettes myself- preferably with blue eyes (see Hugh Jackman, Colin Firth, my boyfriend) But I must agree that Robert Redford is a fine specimen of the male sex. Yes yes. Paul Newman too. (blonde hair/blue eyes, so not my type, but GAWD)

BTW, just saw your post to Jonna about the roasted pepper dip. I used ONE WHOLE CUP of sour cream, and a 15oz jar of peppers. NO WONDER I have SO much! but yummy yum yum! :)
xox

4:27 PM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

There ya go! Really, you can't mess up that recipe, except perhaps by adding too much apple cider vinegar so that the whole thing just tastes like chunky vinegar (bleh!!). And it's so good for you! :-D

4:31 PM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

Yum Robert Redford! I love him in Barefoot in the Park! *swoon* My first celeb crush was Maxwell Caulfield in Grease 2!

11:25 PM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Oh, my Robert Redford certainly was a hunk during those days.

I remember when I was young and had a massive crush on Richard Chamberlain, when he played Dr. Kildare. (I am dating myself here.)

BTW: Do not give up learning the piano. It might take you awhile, but it is not too late. For a concert pianist, maybe, for someone to play for enjoyment, no!

Keep those chops polished!!

10:24 AM, June 04, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

OMG, I had a huge crush on Richard Chamberlain in Shogun and The Thorn Birds, so I know whatcha mean. Yum.

11:52 AM, June 04, 2005  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

yum, yum. I'm right with you on RR!

I remember painstakingly trying to learn to play The Entertainer as a teenager. all I remember was impossibly huge chords and way too many 16th notes! Have fun.

:-)

3:40 PM, June 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First movie star crush - Timothy Dalton in "Mary Queen of Scots."


As for choosing between Paul and Robert, ah, God, luv em both.
But does it get any better than Hubble?

Forget the way they look, they're both (seemingly) pretty damn good men.

Hope you're doing well, K.
Miss your face.

8:07 PM, June 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home