Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

My Latest (and Greatest) Acquisition

Signature by VIP Room. I ordered it unsniffed from luckyscent.com after reading that it was a leather scent. I luuuuuuurve leather.

Here's the luckyscent scoop:

Limited to 3, 000 limited edition bottles, VIP Room is a sensualist’s dream. It opens with a reserved tiare flower, vanilla and musk, and soon gives way to a butter-soft sueded leather, evoking elegant evenings leading into luxurious nights. Add sandalwood to the mix and you’ve got… utter perfection that goes far beyond the hype. Warm, chic and elegant… and just a little naughty. Notes: tiare flower, bergamot, tangerine, pineapple, sandalwood, vetiver, birch, iris root, leather, styrax, amber, vanilla, musk.

The tangerine, tiare, and pineapple had me worried. Turns out I needn't have feared: the sharp and heady notes are so well blended that together with the leather, amber, and sandalwood, they create the impression of silky soft, almost honeyed suede with none of that "masculine" edginess that characterizes most leather scents. This is truly a second skin scent, warm and elegant at once, and I think it would smell equally wonderful on women and men. (Try not to focus on the fact that the second skin in question belongs--er, belonged--to a cow and not a human, and avoid pondering what exactly it is about leather that smells so good anyway, given that the scent of leather isn't the scent of skin--animal or human--but the essence of the chemicals used to preserve it. Yum. Permanent marker, anyone?)

Anyhoo, the cool part is that my bottle is one of the 3000 individually numbered. My number is 1895. In a desperate attempt to attach some significance to this number, I dredged up my Timetables of American History (New Third Revised Edition) and looked up the year 1895. Here's a sampling of the year's events:

H.G. Wells published The Time Machine.
Frederick Douglass, American abolitionist, reformer, and orator, died.
The London School of Economics was founded.
First complete performance of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, St. Petersburg.
Wilhelm Rontgen discovers x-rays.
Marconi invents radio telegraphy.
The Lumière brothers invent a motion picture camera.
K. C. Gillette invents the safety razor.
Babe Ruth was born.
The first U.S. Open golf championship was held.

Wow! So what should I be more thankful for today, my delicious new bottle of Signature by VIP Room or the fact that I was able to shave my legs this morning without peeling off all the skin?

The world is a lovely place.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Kris!

I absolutely adore VIP Room! Congrats on your purchase! DH has stolen it from me now, it smells amazing on him - you should try it on yours. ;)

Ina
"perfumer"

5:23 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Well, had I know YOU owned it, I would have bought it sooner! :-) What number is on your bottle??

6:14 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Oh my. I was not at all interested after reading the notes, but everyone is loving it. I will probably hesitate too long and then all 3000 bottles will be gone. And that will save me money, right?

7:39 PM, June 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is 143! I love that the bottles are numbered!

8:27 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Hi Mizz Frizz! CG is doing great. How are Frizzy and Lizzie?

I don't think VIP is masculine, but then again I don't think leather is an inherently masculine note. But if you tend to immediately associate leather with men's colognes (just as I immediately associate lavender and evergreen notes with men's colognes), you'll probably find it a bit too masculine for your taste. It's all in the associations, isn't it? :-)

8:20 AM, June 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not speaking to you. Except through writeups. ;) Glad you liked it! xoxo -fartmachine

8:10 PM, June 29, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Be thankful for it all!

You lucky lady you. (no pun intended by the way) And from what I remember, you have been rather selective about your fragrance purchases lately, so this is a well deserved one for you.

Smell good and enjoy, my friend.

8:21 PM, June 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home