Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Interesting NPR Piece on Kids and Junk Food

It was a short news piece by Michelle Trudeau about two recent studies published in the American Journal of Public Health. One covers the nutritional content of foods advertised to kids on television. The other covers the geographical distribution of fast food restaurants in neighborhoods with schools.

The piece aired nationally as a segment of All Things Considered on Friday, 8/26, but you can hear it by going to www.npr.org and typing "junk food" in the search box. It should be the first story on the list, titled "Kids Have Easy Access to Junk Food."

I think the first researcher has a sexy voice. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Paxton Carnegie Library said...

Kris,
Nice interview. Gave me much to think about and inspired me to cook a decent meal for the kids tonight. Did the NPR people talk to you in person? The sound quality was excellent.

7:05 PM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Hi Anne,

Thanks! What they have you do is go to your local NPR affiliate radio station and use the studio equipment (headphones, mic, etc.) so the sound transmission is direct, station-to-station. That way there's no risk of interference or sound degradation from unreliable phone lines.

7:46 AM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

K,

I am so impressed!!! It is amazing how we truly do not know how to eat today. I look at the generation of my parents and think that they do not know how to exercise. My generation does not really know how to eat either.
Hope you are doing well.

9:07 PM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Dagnabit = I can't get the sound card on my computer to work. Bleh. Well, I still want to give you my congrats - that is really neat. Make sure to save a copy of it for yourself, as I promise Jermajesty will one day get the biggest thrill listening to it. How cool are you? So cool.

4:52 PM, August 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home