Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bicentennial

Hooray! I received my 200th perfume today!

As a Libra I believe in moderation and balance in all things--except perfume. Libras are sensualists, or so they say. We're prone to overindulgence in food, drink, and other purely sensory pleasures. We're also supposedly analytical, so it's no surprise that I keep an SPSS data file listing all of the perfumes I own now along with those I once owned. (Bottles, not samples.) The grand total is 360, the majority (200) of which I own now.

Number 200 is... (drum roll)... Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company.

According to my expert source Robin at nowsmellthis, Sel de Vetiver contains notes of grapefruit, cardamom, Bourbon geranium, lovage, Haitian vetiver, patchouli, iris, and ylang ylang. Grapefruit usually smells like sweat on me, but here it's so well blended that it lends an astringent brightness that balances the deep, almost smoky notes. The drydown has a leathery quality, though I don't know if leather is among the notes. The scent is supposed to evoke saltwater drying on sunbaked skin, which it does, though this isn't a "marine" scent at all. (Ewww, I just had a thought: the scent of leather IS baked skin. Gross.) There's an appealing pepperiness, perhaps from the geranium and cardamom, which, like the grapefruit, would normally turn me off, but it works here. Those who've tried Ormonde Jayne's sublime Ormonde might notice a kinship.

Like the rest of The Different Company's scents, the blend is beautifully balanced, the drydown smooth and refined. I love this line; all of the TDC scents smell... hmm... what's the right word? Civilized--like something the most unflappable, cool-voiced adult in the room would wear. (I'm not talking Mr. Spock unflappable; more like Katharine Hepburn unflappable.)

Sel de Vetiver joins TDC's gorgeous Bois d'Iris and Divine Bergamote as a new favorite.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bela said...

Wow! I'm speechless.

Sel de Vetiver (what a strange name!) sounds intriguing.

9:45 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

I'm still marveling at keeping SPSS files of perfumes. You must be a virgo cusp.

11:28 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Congratulations!!!!! AWESOME!

9:36 PM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home