Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Gender Bender

I'm considering buying this onesie for my daughter:


I was mistaken for a boy until I was, oh, about 9 years old, so it's no surprise that my daughter would meet the same fate.

Fact is, she does look like a boy, especially if I dress her neutrally. Yesterday she was wearing a yellow t-shirt and white pants. On three separate occasions, people assumed she was a boy with such confidence that they didn't even bother to end sentences in which they used the pronoun HE with the type of upward lilt that signals a question or at least a socially appropriate degree of uncertainty.

You might think I'd rush to correct them, but whenever this happens I'm torn about what to do. Sometimes I just stay silent and smile. Boys are challenged more, engaged more, interacted with more vigorously. If people think she's a boy, maybe my daughter will receive better treatment -- better in the sense of more stimulating, less coddling. Then again, maybe she'll get a complex.

I'll have to think about this some more before adopting a consistent strategy. In the meantime, I've got her dressed in her pink Clash London Calling tee (thanks Auntie Monica) and pink pants. I need a break from my complex, you see.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fact: When I was 17, a woman approached me in a pizza parlor, while I was *with my mother* and announced that I was a "very handsome boy!"

I have short hair, and people regularly call me "sir."

Oddly, this does not bother me, as I'm a girl, and a cute one at that, so they can suck it.

Fi is adorable and will grow out of this, unlike her Cyberauntie Jonna, and if she doesn't, she's in good company :-D

Seriously, she's friggin' awesome. And so wonderfully tall! And that smile! GAH!

2:10 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

Love the Clash tee. Where did it come from anyhow? I have some friends with a 1 yr old who would look just stunning in a Bauhaus or NIN tee I think.

3:53 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

pfg -- here's a good site for you:

http://www.interpunk.com/search.cfm?cat=2&fmt=64&

4:45 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

She is so cute, happy and tall!

4:59 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger mireille said...

I don't get it. She doesn't look like a boy to me. In pink OR whatever color. I'm just sitting here already envying her the height you know she's gonna get. xoxo

5:36 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh man, if only I'd had shirts like that for my boys when they were still wee! And sensibly enough, she looks so pleased to be wearing hers, heh. (My twins are seven now, so they're able to wear their own concert shirts, though they're always too big since I guess concert promoters don't expect seven year olds to attend concerts...)

2:16 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Rachel said...

Me too! When I was 12 I was riding my bike and parked it and one of the kids standing there said, "Why is that boy riding a girl's bike?" I have NEVER forgotten it. Puberty came soon after that (thank goodness) but it actually just brought new complexes!

7:23 PM, July 04, 2006  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

She looks so adorable, for who she is, that dynamite daughter of yours! Love the pink too.

9:05 PM, July 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home