Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Sono #3

Well, I certainly didn't see this coming. My follicles are still developing, albeit slowly. The nurse said, "Things are getting urgent because we're coming up on shut-down." I'm thinking, "Shut-down, like, when you shut down my ovaries?" No. It turns out she means the period in the year when the fertility clinic shuts down and everyone goes on vacation. She said she'd talk to the reproductive endocrinologist today to figure out "what we're going to do." I said, "Didn't you build in a cushion of time in case my cycle went long?" and she said, "Yes, but you've already passed it."

If they cancel my cycle -- after 5 weeks on hormones of one kind or another -- I don't know what I'll do. It just seems so unfair: they're the ones who set up this schedule. I emailed the RE himself to implore him not to cancel my cycle. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

UPDATE: Lucky me, the nurse got back to say they would keep the clinic open a few extra days to complete my cycle! I have one more sono on Wednesday; they anticipate having me take the hcg shot that night, so retrieval would be scheduled for Friday, with transfer (assuming they get any eggs, and at least one of them fertilizes) for Monday. It's good to still have some hope!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Later said...

that's outrageous!

the clinic i was at always built in cycles so that they didn't clash with holidays

that said, they hardly ever closed completely - there was always someone around to see people through different stages of their cycles

((hugs))

10:57 AM, June 23, 2008  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Shut down? Where is this place...France?

I'll keep my fingers crossed with you, K.

Hugs!

11:53 AM, June 23, 2008  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

LH -- thanks! That seems only reasonable. I can't imagine what kind of customer satisfaction rating a clinic would get by cutting off people's cycles midway.

R -- ROFL! Thanks for the first belly laugh of the day (and it's evening)! Good thing I didn't schedule my cycle for August...
;-)

6:36 PM, June 23, 2008  
Blogger adamina said...

WTF!!! Don't they have a "substitute"???-- even my manicurist has back-up.

12:44 PM, June 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home