Triticum Turgidum

Lying Dormant and Waiting to Bloom Since 2005

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Prairie, Illinois, United States

I am a beauty-loving ambidextrous higher-order primate who learned transcendental meditation at 7, statistical analysis at 23, tap dancing at 30, and piano at 35. I tolerate gluten, lactose, and differences of opinion, but not abuse. Or beets.

Monday, October 31, 2005

I Miss New Orleans

It's been over a year since my last trip to NOLA. I can't seem to grasp that it's changed for good. The feeling isn't quite as devastating as returning to one's childhood home to find it razed and replaced by a WalMart, but it's pretty close.

Every year Greg and I have a Mardi Gras party on the first Saturday in November. Usually it's just an excuse to wear beads, eat fried turkey, and drink too much. This year it will actually have meaning.

New Orleans will resurrect itself. Those people are used to cleaning up big messes.

King cake, anyone?

5 Comments:

Blogger mireille said...

and don't we find something LUCKY in the King Cake? by the way, isn't there something we have to do to earn the beads? *maybe I'm mixing up my traditions* And I'm all for resurrection ... Happy All Hallows/Day of the Dead, k! xoxo

10:48 PM, October 31, 2005  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

HI K,
I never visited NOLA. I will never know what it was like before. Sad.
BUT--on a brighter note, I did watch Real World New Orleans a few years ago, so I did get a feel for it. HA!
I am pathetic!

Have a blast at your party.

Jen

5:43 AM, November 01, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

Beautiful, K. I spent a Mardi Gras down in NO and I too have trouble comprehending - even beginning to comprehend the devastation.

Your party will Rock on a lot of levels. Hope you're feeling good these days!

R

10:57 AM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Lovely, K.

Change, althought something as dramatic as what happened in N.O, is an inevidable part of life.

10:43 AM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

What a great post - that is a wonderful way to look at things. I've never visited NOLA either, but I do hope your party is wonderful.

Now going to go google "king cake" since I've nary a clue what on earth that is.

2:30 PM, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home